Sunday, February 22, 2009

Liphone As We Know It Part 1


I tried to start this blog by researching the history of the mobile phone, but the beginnings seemed rather boring so I decided to skip ahead with the history that I remember. Unfortunately, I was not able to experience the awesomeness of the first generation cell phones that came out in the late 70’s and early 80’s, but I was there for the introduction of the 2G cell phones which were thankfully much more mobile than their original counterparts.

My friend Alia was the first of us to receive a cell phone. On 8th grade graduation, her parents gave her a Nokia phone, one of the longer ones. Of course, we were all jealous and many of our friends subsequently followed in her footsteps. I was probably the last of all of my friends to get my own cell phone, seeing as I didn’t really want one in the first place. I think it was the summer between my freshman and sophomore year of High School when my mom took me down to the local Cingular store to apply for a family plan. I walked away with a baby blue Nokia which was equipped with a black and white screen and the ever-addicting game of Snake. My mom wanted me to get a cell phone so she could stop hearing my excuses about why I forgot/ couldn’t call her (none of my friends had quarters for the payphone!) to tell her where I was. Giving me a cell phone was her way of being able to track me down wherever I was. Nonetheless I learned to love the phone and of course now I can’t imagine life without one. The baby blue Nokia was the only phone I kept long enough to qualify me for an upgrade. From there on out all my future held was a series bad luck and irritating trips back to the Cingular store.

It goes a little something like this…

Replacement: A beautiful shiny silver flip phone reminiscent of its unofficial predecessor the Razor.
Death: Shortly before I was about to leave for college I went water tubing at Mission Bay. My phone was in the pocket of my sweatshirt. As I was putting on my sweatshirt the phone flew out of my pocket landing with a delicate plop in the water before swiftly sinking to its untimely demise.

Replacement: An ugly plastic Motorola flip phone, a definite downgrade.
Death: Spring quarter of my freshman year of college. I joined the men’s crew team and was not allowed to leave for Spring Break due to our practice schedule. I always took my phone out on the water with me; unfortunately, my two seat Steve Shanley decided to purposely flip the four I was coxing thus water logging my phone and ending its short and somewhat uneventful life.

Replacement: The same ugly plastic Motorola flip phone I thought I had finally gotten rid of.
Death: Winter quarter of my sophomore year of college. It was a rainy day. I was just getting back from an early morning of crew practice and I was in a hurry. Shortly after I got home I realized that I lost my phone. After calling the phone and retracing my steps I cut my losses and began contemplating my replacement.

Replacement: Silver Motorola Razor which I bought for cheap on Ebay!!
Death: Summer before my junior year of college. Steve Shanley came to visit me in La Jolla. He thought it was funny to sneak up behind me and tickle me. This caused me to jerk and convulse uncontrollably, ultimately making me drop my phone and crack the screen. The Razor suffered a slow and painful death. What started as a cracked screen soon became something much more sinister. The internal hardware began to slow down; it became confused and disoriented, eventually just shutting down during crucial periods of use. Soon after, the screen began showing signs of fatigue and failure. When the screen became shrouded almost completely in a mysterious black substance I knew it was time to accept reality and let the poor guy life the rest of its days in peace.

Replacement: A roommate’s international phone which she lent to me for my semester abroad in London.
Death: This perfect little black phone survived all the trials and tribulations of London, although there were many close run-ins at the hands of the now infamous Steve Shanley. As far as I know this little baby is still going strong!

Replacement: A black LG flip phone which I bought shortly after my return from London.
Death: This bad ass could not and would not ever die. I had this fighter for almost two years. In that time period I dropped it numerous times, spilled everything from tequila to beer on it, and left it more places than I can even remember. But the little sucker loved me and stayed with me through it all. But upon my graduation and entrance into the real working world of adults I felt it necessary to find a phone that could keep up with my hectic and much more mature life.

Replacement: The 2nd generation Iphone.
Death: Never.

And now my life begins

No comments:

Post a Comment